Cryo Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

End Phase MST!?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Unlucky Saggi
Stardust
Stardust
Unlucky Saggi

Stats
Lv: 28
Experience Bar:
End Phase MST!? Left_bar_bleue69/140End Phase MST!? Empty_bar_bleue  (69/140)

End Phase MST!? Empty
PostSubject: End Phase MST!?   End Phase MST!? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 10:14 am

Since I've been in the competitive scene, end phase MST has been a huge factor in disrupting hidden spells/traps. As the game progressed I started leaning against setting Typhoon as I felt the need not to.The whole idea popped in my head after I heard Frazier Smith talking about the mindset he has towards the game. It can be found [Here].
He talks about his need not to set MST and also gives an interesting example in the form of Thunder King Rai-Oh!. He says, "Here's what I realised about the game right now. Thunder King is like the best monster to summon first turn, obviously. With that being said, he's such a strong presence offensively and defensively that you can set MST when you summon him first turn" he then says, "and it just keeps the pressure on, like if I end phase MST when I have Thunder King on the field it's like, awh, man. You had a D-Prison? Or something that you wanted to use? I got you now."

With the arrival of the water deck (Mermail Atlanteans) and their trap Abyss-Sphere, can we even waste our Typhoons? Yes, you can run three copies but that just means you only have three chances to make some use of it. Certain match-ups, (like Dark Worlds) I can see myself using Typhoon in the end phase even if it's blind, just so I can hit those pesky traps such as Reckless Greed.

Along the idea of traps:
What if you're facing Trapless-Agents? Chaos Dragons? Decks that run
little to no traps?

End Phase MST would achieve nothing in these matches, they're dead. I'm sure you can bluff setting it but you're allowing them to snowball while you watch that Gorz you drew a turn later.

The questions I have for you now are, when do you set your Typhoons? Do you even set them? How many copies do you run? Do you feel the need at times to set MST?
Back to top Go down
Kyonaru
Administrator
Administrator
Kyonaru

Stats
Lv: 22
Experience Bar:
End Phase MST!? Left_bar_bleue52/110End Phase MST!? Empty_bar_bleue  (52/110)

End Phase MST!? Empty
PostSubject: Re: End Phase MST!?   End Phase MST!? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 10:41 am

It depends on the deck I'm playing against.
Usually I side 1 MST out with Chaos Dragons, as they most likely won't have any counters against my deck, except maybe decree. But that doesn't hurt me that much.
If I play against Mermail/Atlantean, set all the MST's I've got to prevent Abyssphere, then g2 side something out for D Fissure and any eventual other counters i cannot remember.

I set my typhoons when I know the opponent is gonna try and make a play in my turn, or when I want to bluff. Bluff works exceptionally well against Chaos Dragons, forcing them to waste their MSTs/Heavy Storm on your MST.
Back to top Go down
Vendetta
Shooting Star
Shooting Star
Vendetta

Stats
Lv: 26
Experience Bar:
End Phase MST!? Left_bar_bleue81/130End Phase MST!? Empty_bar_bleue  (81/130)

End Phase MST!? Empty
PostSubject: Re: End Phase MST!?   End Phase MST!? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 10:46 am

I suppose i set an MST during my MP2 keep it in the hand for the BP in-case of a Continuous Trap.

IMO, G1 do what you want with MST play by your preference since you wont know what they're playing i think its g2 and g3 where you should change with MST, time to think on what deck they ran during siding and if you seen any traps in g1, still they might have drawn bad and not got any, lol. If they played like you said Chaos Dragons with no traps best thing would be to side them out or just keep in hand.

All this talk makes me want to main Silver Sentinel.
Back to top Go down
Unlucky Saggi
Stardust
Stardust
Unlucky Saggi

Stats
Experience Bar:

End Phase MST!? Empty
PostSubject: Re: End Phase MST!?   End Phase MST!? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 6:27 pm

Kyonaru wrote:

I set my typhoons when I know the opponent is gonna try and make a play in my turn, or when I want to bluff. Bluff works exceptionally well against Chaos Dragons, forcing them to waste their MSTs/Heavy Storm on your MST.

Well, I guess they also have those x3 Ryko and x3 Lyla too. It was just a nice topic to talk about though.

Thanks for the feedback Corey and Kyo.
Back to top Go down
Yota
Administrator
Administrator
Yota

Stats
Lv: Bloody Shinigami
Experience Bar:
End Phase MST!? Left_bar_bleue6375/6375End Phase MST!? Empty_bar_bleue  (6375/6375)

End Phase MST!? Empty
PostSubject: Re: End Phase MST!?   End Phase MST!? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 1:02 am

I don't often main deck MSTs, which means that I decide after g1 whether I need them or not.
When I main deck them, then I like to wait 1-2 turns until I know what I'm facing. That way I know what to expect from my opponent's back-row, which helps me with my MST's timing. Knowing when you have to use MST is very important. It's a simple spell, but it can save your ass if you know how to use it.
Back to top Go down
Unlucky Saggi
Stardust
Stardust
Unlucky Saggi

Stats
Experience Bar:

End Phase MST!? Empty
PostSubject: Re: End Phase MST!?   End Phase MST!? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2012 8:18 am

N wrote:
I don't often main deck MSTs

This thought didn't even phase me until now. Thanks for the feedback too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

End Phase MST!? Empty
PostSubject: Re: End Phase MST!?   End Phase MST!? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

End Phase MST!?
Page 1 of 1