Cryo Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rev into over-..confidence?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Unlucky Saggi
Stardust
Stardust
Unlucky Saggi

Stats
Lv: 28
Experience Bar:
Rev into over-..confidence? Left_bar_bleue69/140Rev into over-..confidence? Empty_bar_bleue  (69/140)

Rev into over-..confidence? Empty
PostSubject: Rev into over-..confidence?   Rev into over-..confidence? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 3:11 am

Before I begin, let me tell you a story.

Dueling Network:
I decided to play a couple of rated duels and with my anxiety I tend to get nervous (highly) when dueling 1000+ rating/exp rooms. I decided to go for it, nothing's going to happen if I lose. Surprisingly, I came out on top! To keep the momentum going I tried my hands again and what do you know? I won. Feeling quite happy about myself I make a room and click on the first name that pops up. It ended up being a generic "! ! ! ! !" guy with an average rating/exp. As we drew our opening hand I looked at his deck zone and saw the number 54. I laughed in my head saying to myself, "Wow, this will be an easy win" only for my fingers to hover over the letters W-O-W. He opened really well, something I couldn't come back from. His turn resulted in Shi En, Blade Armor Ninja, Great Shogun Shien and Solemn Judgment. This is where my winning streak ended. Long story short, I was too overconfident.

Remember when you faced that 100/0 guy, lost to his Wind-Ups and thought, "Wow, he only got lucky. He's also using a tier 1 deck. No wonder I lost." Even though luck might have been an issue, there is also the possibility that you lost simply because he was the better player. You have to take every opponent as a serious competitor. Do not let your focus slip because you think you have the upper hand before playing.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying being confident is a bad thing, but being too confident is something you have to watch out for. I often talk to people who are experienced in this area and I feel that a large percent of them turn out to be arrogant and ignorant. Do not be like that, keep your feet on the ground. Do not cut down on practice either, participate in tournaments to stay on top of your game. If you keep respecting every opponent and keep practising I'll guarantee success and I know you want that.

Questions for this little topic: Have you ever been overconfident during a duel? If so, have you ever lost because of it?
Back to top Go down
Kyonaru
Administrator
Administrator
Kyonaru

Stats
Lv: 22
Experience Bar:
Rev into over-..confidence? Left_bar_bleue52/110Rev into over-..confidence? Empty_bar_bleue  (52/110)

PostSubject: Re: Rev into over-..confidence?   Rev into over-..confidence? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 10:37 am

I'm always overconfident and arrogant although most of the time I don't mean it.
I joke about that a lot. I have never lost a duel because I was overconfident, however I rarely lose because I misplay. I swear the only times I lose are when I get sacked. P_P
Back to top Go down
Unlucky Saggi
Stardust
Stardust
Unlucky Saggi

Stats
Experience Bar:
Rev into over-..confidence? Left_bar_bleue69/140Rev into over-..confidence? Empty_bar_bleue  (69/140)

PostSubject: Re: Rev into over-..confidence?   Rev into over-..confidence? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 6:48 pm

I know what you mean though, especially when you're dueling friends.

Kyonaru wrote:
I swear the only times I lose are when I get sacked. P_P
Rev into over-..confidence? Tumblr10
Back to top Go down
Kyonaru
Administrator
Administrator
Kyonaru

Stats
Experience Bar:
Rev into over-..confidence? Left_bar_bleue52/110Rev into over-..confidence? Empty_bar_bleue  (52/110)

PostSubject: Re: Rev into over-..confidence?   Rev into over-..confidence? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 7:44 pm

Yu-Gi-Oh! is all about who has the better hand right now. Although you can win if you play your hand well in any case... but then you get sacked, and it's annoying because you would have made an epic comeback with that crappy starting hand of yours... but nope!

I miss 2008. D:
Back to top Go down
Unlucky Saggi
Stardust
Stardust
Unlucky Saggi

Stats
Experience Bar:

PostSubject: Re: Rev into over-..confidence?   Rev into over-..confidence? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 8:19 pm

Kyonaru wrote:

I miss 2008. D:

That is something I agree with you on. I was actually gonna make another topic, "Is there misplays this format?" Just like you said, people can sack their life away during a duel even when you played your ass off.

Back in the day the guy who wasted his power cards was the one to lose. The guy who saved his to counteract usually won. Now there's so many power cards and dumb combos it's like, ???.*cough*AgentsWindUpsChaosDragons*cough* it's just dumb

The game is still fun though even with all this "sack"
Back to top Go down
Spinda
Spinda

Stats
Lv: 14
Experience Bar:
Rev into over-..confidence? Left_bar_bleue12/70Rev into over-..confidence? Empty_bar_bleue  (12/70)

PostSubject: Re: Rev into over-..confidence?   Rev into over-..confidence? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 8:46 pm

In a duel, what's worse: Being overconfident about your plays, or having too little confidence in your plays?
Back to top Go down
Kyonaru
Administrator
Administrator
Kyonaru

Stats
Experience Bar:

PostSubject: Re: Rev into over-..confidence?   Rev into over-..confidence? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 8:47 pm

Spinda wrote:
In a duel, what's worse: Being overconfident about your plays, or having too little confidence in your plays?
It's probably best to be careful. Aka, having medium confidence.
Back to top Go down
Eheroduelist
Stardust
Stardust
Eheroduelist

Stats
Lv: 15
Experience Bar:
Rev into over-..confidence? Left_bar_bleue45/70Rev into over-..confidence? Empty_bar_bleue  (45/70)

PostSubject: Re: Rev into over-..confidence?   Rev into over-..confidence? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 8:51 pm

I take every opponent seriously for this reason.
Even those that really are about as skilled as a fence post.

You may know exactly what a netdeck can do against you, but the moves aren't that complicated to learn and are hard to counter a decent portion of the time.

I remember the good-old days of a few formats ago where I'd still be able to pull off wins with my old 60-card Heroes build xD

And of course being under-confident.

Walking into a few traps on the basis of overconfidence is recoverable a good portion of the time; whereas if you're under-confident you'll try too hard to avoid walking into traps and overestimate your opponent's face-downs to where they'll be able to totally overpower you with their massive amount of resources.

But I do agree, middle ground is best. Don't overestimate what is most likely a bad trap/bluffing spell, but don't underestimate a possibly deadly trap.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rev into over-..confidence?   Rev into over-..confidence? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rev into over-..confidence?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cryo Duel Academy :: Classrooms :: Articles-
Jump to: